Monday, October 12, 2009

Cami Bag Pattern!


There's a new contest (contest over) on the Sew Mama Sew blog, so I decided to give it a whirl. The ScrapBusters challenge is to use scraps in a new way.
These small bags can be made from any size scraps, as one uses up strips and the other uses pieces approximately 10"x13".
I named this bag the Cami Bag because I think it looks like a camisole with a neckline and thin straps. The white/purple one measures 9"x12". The scrappy one is child-sized, about 6"x7".
I have seen bags similar to this and decided I could figure out how to make one. A quick project that doesn't take a lot of fabric, depending on what size it is. I've made it in three sizes now, and I think I like the white one the best, though the small one will be a great gift for my little four year old granddaughter.

Ok, here's a sneak peek at the pattern, now available on Craftsy:
The Cami Bag


Made from scraps or two fat quarters of fabric, this handy little bag has a pocket on the outside and one on the inside.
Small darts give the base of the bag some shape, but may be eliminated, as desired.

Read each instruction thoroughly before sewing, to avoid costly mistakes. Click on photos to enlarge to see detail.

All seam allowances are 1/4”, unless otherwise noted.

Strip piecing instructions are at the end of the full instructions.



Materials:

Scraps to equal 2 pieces 10”x13” plus 5”x5” for pocket (or one fat quarter for exterior)

Scraps to equal 2 pieces 10”x13” plus 5”x5” for pocket (or one fat quarter for lining)

2 pieces cotton batting 10”x13”

42” Extra wide double fold bias tape (or two inch wide bias strips double folded and pieced to 42”)
       (36" for child size bag)

1 closure: i.e. magnetic snap, button/loop, etc.

Pockets:

1.  Place pockets and linings right sides together and stitch all edges, leaving 2” opening on one side for turning. Trim corners and press seam allowances back on the side with the opening (left edge in photo). Turn right side out and press.
2.  Attach pockets to exterior and lining by topstitching 1/8” from edge of pocket as marked on pattern, backstitch well at upper edges to secure.

3.  Mark darts on exterior, lining and batting pieces. Sew darts by folding on dotted line (right sides together), matching solid lines. Stitch on solid line from raw edge to point. Press toward center on exterior and toward sides on lining.

On batting, cut darts out on solid lines (photo on left) and butt edges together and baste, keeping batting flat (photo on right). (Use matching thread, contrasting color was used for photo only.)




4.  Place exterior pieces right sides together and then place one batting piece on either side. Stitch around sides and bottom, leaving “armholes and neckline” open. Trim batting close to stitching. (photo on right) Turn right side out (photo onn left).
5.  Place lining pieces right sides together and stitch around sides and bottom, again leaving “armholes and neckline” open.

6.  Place lining inside of exterior piece, wrong sides together. Match “neckline and armholes.”

7.  Apply magnetic snap at this point, through lining and batting for stability. If using a button/loop closure, baste loop in place before applying bias tape. Button may be sewn above or on pocket, but make sure it will not interfere with bias application, otherwise, it may be sewn on later.

For the full pattern, visit here

11 comments:

  1. I am feeling really stupid right this minute but I can't see where to download the pattern anywhere! Am I blind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I didn't post a download, just typed all the instructions here. You can copy and paste them into a Word document if you want a hard copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still feeling stupid, I didn't mean I wanted to download the entire page of instructions. I just wanted to print out a paper pattern to pin to my exterior fabric so I could cut out the shape of the bag (the curve on the bottom and the other curve on the top and the markings for the darts).
    I'm not good at freehand drawing and guessing the size of darts scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please don't feel stupid, it's me that is stupid! I didn't even think that the pattern pieces aren't here...so sorry, this is my first tutorial on my blog. I didn't want to go through a hassle to put a pdf on the page, but I will figure it out this afternoon and you can download it. Thanks for your patience and persistance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I've done it this morning, instead of later. Hope this works for you! Thanks again, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! That is exactly what I needed! Thank you for putting up with my snippy, stupid side! And a second round of thanks for sharing your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this cute bag, I surely realize it
    I speak a little english because I am French from Guadeloupe (an island of the caribbean)
    Have a good day
    My blog is http://gwadabrode.canalblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the tuto of this pretty bag
    I live in France
    my blog: http://mamiedanielle63.designblog.fr/
    Good day

    ReplyDelete
  9. merci beaucoup pour ce tuto bien sympa ..j'habite aussi en france et mon blog est : http://natipassion.over-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I come to your blog to thank you for your nice tutorial
    I put a message on my blog when I made several bags from this tutorial and I gave your link
    Thanks a lot
    My blog http://gwadabrode.canalblog.com/

    ReplyDelete